Ozone disinfection is increasingly used as an alternative to chlorine disinfection in drinking water treatment. Tests have shown that ozone has an almost inactivated effect on almost all bacteria, viruses, fungi, protozoa, and oocysts. Disadvantages are: large investment, higher cost than chlorination; O3 in water is unstable, control and detection of O3 requires certain technology; after disinfection, it has corrosive effect on the pipeline, so there is no residual O3 in the factory water, so the second disinfectant is needed; The reaction of manganese, organic matter, etc. can produce microflocculation, which increases the turbidity of water; when ozone oxidizes raw water containing bromide ions, bromate is produced. Bromate has been identified as a Class 2B potential carcinogen by the International Agency for Research on Cancer. WHO recommends a maximum bromate content of 25 μg/L in drinking water. The US Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) drinking water standard states that the maximum allowable concentration of bromate is 10 μg/L. . The formation of bromate in the process of ozone oxidation has two pathways: ozone oxidation and ozone/hydrogen radical oxidation. Controlling bromate can be carried out by controlling its formation and removal. Lowering the pH, adding ammonia, the chlorine-ammonia process, and optimizing the ozonation conditions are methods for controlling the formation of bromate, which can be removed by physical, chemical, and biological methods. Therefore, to achieve the balance between ozone, pathogenic bacteria and bromate, it is necessary to further explore the ozone sterilization mechanism and the bromate control method.
Related Industry Knowledge
- The main principle of ozone deodorizer
- Seven performances of ozone deodorizer
- Principle of sterilization of ozone disinfection
- Advantages of ozone disinfection water
- Comparison between ozone disinfection and conve...
- Ozone disinfection in the field of health care
- Ozone disinfection in the food industry
- Definition of ozone water purifier
- Influencing factors of ozone water purifier
- How does the household ozone machine work